Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

why i love jesus - but love/hate religion



This guy says it pretty well.  

Don't confuse Jesus with "religion".

There is a huge difference. Most people don't take time to realize that. 

And that's what scares me.

Because misunderstanding is the root of most hatred. 

Be known by what you are for. Not what you are against. 


-


That being said, let me just say that based on the way I initially heard this, I tend to feel he is using the word "religion" in the sense that the word is too often linked with only the politics of a religion, rather than the faith.


I do not believe he is saying he hates religion per se, but rather the misconstrued political faction of those who claim religion as their weapon of choice.

For me, religion is the faith, not the politics. But the word has become dangerously bastardized. And Christianity is not the only religion in the line of fire here. Look at how too many people view Islam or Judaism - completely wrong!

The popular view of religion is a group of radicals trying to use it as a sort of political movement rather than a belief system.

(I could easily point some fingers here to certain groups making headlines in the last few years, but there again is a problem of saying "I'm right, you're wrong" so I'll abstain)

But seriously... Am I the only one who thinks this is completely bonkers?


I do think this guy takes a little too much poetic license with some of the text he quotes (albeit with good intentions, I do believe that). Actually, in some ways it's a wonderful illustration of why there is so much dissension among Christians because, just like any things else in this big world, we all come at things with our own point of view, our own biases,  and our own interpretations.

A good friend of mine actually posted this great article which seems to tidy up the point in question here. Honestly, I like both of the points of view represented here. And I appreciate both very much. I will not say one is right, the other wrong. I will simply say that both sides make some sense to me.

I always think about a phrase I've heard many times over the years:

Hate the sin. Love the sinner.


Because let's face it folks - we're all a little screwed up and none of us are perfect.

Such is the beauty of the human condition.


And I don't think we need religion to tell us that. I also don't think we need religion to fix that, either.

For me though, I will say this: religion does help me fix the things in my life I want to change. It also helps me maintain the things I don't want to change. I happen to call The Great Whoever up there God. It's what works for me.

Will this work for everyone?

No.

Should it work for everyone?

Hell no.


Find what works for you! I can only beseech you here to do everything you do in LOVE.

Because that there is something that all religions have in common.

Politics on the other hand... Not so much.

-

So like I said, please do not confuse Jesus with "religion" (by that I mean to say the popular politics too many associate with that word). I follow a Man whose message was LOVE and PEACE.

And I like that.

Unfortunately, I don't always like everyone who claims to do the same.

Which makes me think of another quote:

Dear God, please save me from your "followers".


Of course, I should probably work on that if what I feel called to do in this world in Love.

I guess that's my own hypocrisy. But you know what? I want to change that.

I'm going to change that.

1 comments:

Kendra said...

Wow! Beautiful post! And thanks for sharing the video. That was new to me.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...